Solar lights, also known as solar ground lights or solar street lights, are a lighting system consisting of LED lights, solar panels, batteries, a charge controller, and possibly an inverter. Street lights work with electricity from batteries, which are charged by using solar panels (solar photovoltaic panels).
Solar lights can replace other light sources such as candles or kerosene lamps. Solar lamps are less expensive to run than kerosene lamps because renewable energy from the sun is free, unlike fuel. Also, solar lamps do not produce air pollution like kerosene lamps. However, the initial cost of solar lights is usually higher and depends on the weather, sun exposure.
Solar lights used in rural areas are often able to power other devices, such as charging mobile phones. In recent years, the cost of solar lamps has continued to decline with the mass production of solar modules and lamps.
I. What are the classifications of solar lights?
1. Solar Home Lighting
Compared with ordinary LED lights, solar lights have built-in lithium batteries or lead-acid batteries, which can be charged by one or more external solar panels. The general charging time is about 8 hours, and the use time is as long as 8-24 hours. Generally with charging or remote control function, the shape varies according to user needs.
2. Solar Signal Light
The role of navigation, aviation and land traffic lights is very important. In many places, the power grid cannot supply power, and solar signal lights can solve the problem of power supply. The light source is mainly LED with small particles of directional light. Good economic and social benefits have been achieved.
3. Solar Lawn Light
Solar lawn lamps, the light source power is 0.1~1W, generally small particle light-emitting diodes (LED) are used as the main light source. The power of the solar panel is 0.5~3W, and two batteries such as a 1.2V nickel battery can be used.
4. Solar Landscape Light
Solar landscape lights are used in squares, parks, green spaces and other places, using various shapes of low-power LED point light sources, line light sources, and cold cathode modeling lights to beautify the environment. Solar landscape lights can get better landscape lighting effects without damaging the green space.
5. Solar Sign Light
Solar signage lights are used for the lighting of night guidance, house numbers and intersection signs. The requirements for the luminous flux of the light source are not high, the configuration requirements of the system are low, and the usage is large. The light source of the marking lamp can generally be a low-power LED light source or a cold cathode lamp.
6. Solar Street Light
Solar LED street lights, applied to village roads and rural roads, are one of the main applications of solar photovoltaic lighting devices. The light sources used include low-power high-pressure gas discharge (HID) lamps, fluorescent lamps, low-pressure sodium lamps, and high-power LEDs. Due to the limitation of its overall power, there are not many cases applied to the main roads of the city. With the complementation with municipal lines, the application of solar photovoltaic lighting street lamps on main roads will increase.
7. Solar Insecticidal Lamp
Solar insecticidal lamps are used in orchards, plantations, parks, lawns and other places. Generally, fluorescent lamps with a specific spectrum are used, and the more advanced ones use LED violet lamps to induce and kill insects through their specific spectrum radiation.
8. Solar Flashlight
The solar flashlight uses LED as the light source and can be used in field activities or emergencies.
9. Solar Garden Lamp
Solar garden lamps are used in lighting and decoration of urban roads, commercial and residential quarters, parks, tourist attractions, squares, etc. The mains lighting system can also be transformed into a solar lighting system according to user needs.
★ The invention of solar street lamps has brought great convenience to human life!
1. For the better construction of the city, the street lights in the city are generally changed to solar street lights. The solar street light price is reasonable. The installation procedures of the traditional street lights used in the past are more complicated. High wattage, and the use of a street lamp head with a relatively large wattage, not only makes the light dim, but also is not conducive to the lighting of the city.
2. The price of solar powered street lights is relatively low, energy saving and environmental protection, and the installation procedures are simpler than traditional ones. At the same time, there is no need to lay very complicated circuits. The price of solar energy mainly consists of four parts. Controllers for street light poles, panels and solar street lights.
3. Now saving resources has become a concern of the whole world, so the invention of solar energy has brought great convenience to human life, and my country’s solar radiation is relatively high, because solar energy is very rich. The solar LED street light price is uneven, and the price is about two hundred to one thousand yuan. Compared with traditional street lights, the price is much cheaper. The reason why the price of street lamps is not uniform is not only the difference in its material, but also the choice of different brands. For consumers, the brand is also a guarantee of quality.
4. Solar powered street lights use solar photovoltaic cells to provide electricity. As a green and environmentally friendly new energy, solar energy is “inexhaustible and inexhaustible”. Making full use of solar energy resources has positive significance for alleviating the shortage of conventional energy.
5. The installation of solar LED road lights is simple and convenient. There is no need to do a lot of basic engineering such as laying cables like ordinary street lights. It only needs a base to fix it, and all the lines and control parts are placed in the light frame to form a whole.
6. The solar power supply used by solar street lights has almost zero operating cost, except that conversion to commercial power supply in cloudy and rainy days will generate a small part of the electricity cost. The operation of the entire system is automatically controlled without human intervention, and almost no maintenance costs are incurred. The service life of the solar street light also depends on the necessary maintenance. In the early stage of installation, it is necessary to strictly follow the construction standards, and try to match the configuration reasonably, increase the capacity of the battery, and thus prolong the life of the solar street light.
Most solar road lights can be illuminated for eight to nine hours as long as they are fully charged, so when you choose, you can refer to the quality of solar powered street lamps based on this. When choosing a street light, the road section to be installed should be considered. Different road sections and environments are different, so the specifications to be selected are also different. For example, the width of roads in rural areas is less than ten meters, and most of them are between four and six meters, so the wattage selected by the lamp head should be able to illuminate the road of this width.
II. What are the benefits of solar lights?
1. Low Installation & Maintenance Costs
Since the solar light does not need wires, it is easier for customers to install and maintain. Solar lights can benefit homeowners by reducing maintenance costs and electricity bills.
2. Wide Range of Applications
Solar lights can also be used in areas without power grids or remote areas that lack reliable power supply, because there are built-in solar panels to generate electricity through solar panels.
3. Eye Protection
Solar lights can protect people’s eyes. There are many stories of people suffering from worsening eye disease, burns from lights, and sometimes death simply because they don’t have the right lighting at night.
Solar lights create a sense of security for people. Woman feels unsafe when she walks outside to go to the toilet after dark. Midwives deliver babies with just one candle, and students are unable to study when the sun goes down due to a lack of light, leading to rising illiteracy and chronic poverty. These are the realities of more than a billion people around the world. Lack of lighting equals persistent poverty felt all over the world.
5. Educational Convenience
Solar Lights Facilitate Education. The use of solar lights improves the education of students living in households without electricity. In Africa, Bangladesh, and some economically underdeveloped areas, solar lights save household expenses.
6. Environmental Safety
Environmental safety is also a benefit of using solar lights, we no longer have to worry about pollution and carbon footprint. In solar lights, solar panels convert light energy into electricity, that is, solar panels, solar lights provide convenience for our daily life. But the output of solar energy is limited by the weather, if it is cloudy, humid or winter, the effect will be poor.
III. How to choose solar lamps?
1. Solar Panels
The charging efficiency is not high, which directly affects the use of solar induction lamps.
2. Battery Capacity
The battery capacity is directly related to the lighting time of the solar lamp, and naturally the bigger the better. Generally, there is no need to worry about the capacity being too large, and the merchants are not doing charity work, so there will be no such configuration.
3. New & Old Batteries
Many solar sensor lights now use second-hand batteries. When choosing, keep your eyes open and try to choose outdoor solar sensor lights with new batteries.
4. Lamp Beads
Good solar lamp beads can not only improve the brightness, but also save power and prolong life. The number of lamp beads is suitable, too many is not good.
5. Protection Level
It is the IP value of the solar lamp. Generally speaking, the higher the better, the one I bought is IP66, which is absolutely dustproof and can prevent the impact of rapids and waves.
6. Induction Mode
It is difficult to adjust, and it is very important to choose the appropriate induction mode.